10.17.2010

Memories

GASP! I know, I'm posting. Shocker, right? This has been on my mind lately, and I needed to post it:


Photography has opened my eyes up to a lot of things. One of the most prevalent, is that of memories. I like memories.

I crave memories.

When I was a little girl, I couldn't fathom how I would ever be able to forget the events of each day. Each day had such a strong importance in my life, that I just knew I would remember every moment.

As an adult, I can't fathom how I would ever be able to remember the events of each day. Each day still has such a strong importance in my life, that I just know I would never remember every moment...and I cherish each moment; each smile that comes from my son's face, and each time he tells me why I am "the best mommy in the whole world." I am busy, forgetful, and worst of all, selfish to the point of micro-focusing on my own needs. These memories slip by quickly. I hate that.

But things are changing. Photography is changing them. There's something about capturing the way a person's laugh lights up their face that makes me tremendously happy. There's something about capturing my family on camera, that makes me want to capture it in every way possible. That's where the memory craves come in; old and new. I want to always remember the days "back then," and I never want to forget today.

This year, although I haven't been blogging much lately, I have still been preserving memories by way of journals (which I currently have 5 that I keep), photography, my parent's life stories, a family blog dedicated to newsletters my grandma wrote, and collecting memories of my grandfather for something special.

This is not for me alone. I do this so I can show my children (current and future) how I see the world through my lens, and to tell them that they're not alone in their struggles through my journals. I want them to know how amazing their ancestors were, and what their sacrifices have given all of us.

When I started each one they seemed like huge, time-consuming endeavors. I wasn't sure I would keep up with any of them. But somehow, I have found time for each one. They're important to me, and (I hope) will one day be important to my children.

And so to everyone who has helped, is helping, or will help, in making, collecting, and keeping memories: thank you. I love you. You're in my memories!

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! I was just thinking about decorating my family room today and I decided to just put up a ton of pictures every where. Some people might think that's over-done, but I feel like those pictures preserve our moments that mean so much to my little family. Anyway, thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I can't believe you have 5 journals - that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sooo relate to this. Photos are a way to help me remember all the everyday moments with my family (and they are priceless as my babies just keep getting bigger!). I'm impressed that you keep up with 5 journals!! That's awesome that you're doing all that for your family. I can barely keep up with my blog these days, and I started a private blog a few months ago to pull together my various journals, blogs, etc. into one place and try to create a memory book for my boys (and hopefully someday for my grandchildren). It's slow-going but reading this has motivated me to get back at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia: I LOVE that you put tons of pictures up! I would be one of those that *doesn't* think that's overdone at all. :) I love looking at other people's pictures on their walls.

    Danette: I love your idea of creating a memory book for your boys by using blog posts! I've heard of the blog book, but I never thought to only use specific posts relating to my son. I might have to steal that one. :) Keep me updating on how it goes. I'd love to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...