5.28.2010

Review: The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan


From the Cover:

Lena has lived her whole life near the beach – walking for miles up and down the shore and breathing the salty air, swimming in the cold water, and watching the surfers rule the waves – the problem is, she’s spent her whole life just watching.
As her sixteenth birthday approaches, Lena vows she will no longer watch from the sand: she will learn to surf. But her father – a former surfer himself – refuses to allow her to take lessons. After a near drowning in his past, he can’t bear to let Lena take up the risky sport.   Yet something lures Lena to the water … an ancient, powerful magic. One morning Lena catches sight of this magic: a beautiful woman – with a silvery tail. Nothing will keep Lena from seeking the mermaid, not even the dangerous waves at Magic Crescent Cove. And soon … what she sees in the mermaid’s mirror will change her life.

My Thoughts:

I am SO glad I was able to review this book! If you plan to spend a day at the beach reading, this is the book you want to take. And if, like me, you're in the middle of cold weather, it will bring a fresh sea breeze to your mind. It's chock full of beaches, surfing, underwater scenery, mystery, and of course mermaids.

I think Madigan did a wonderful job writing this book. I liked that she sometimes used texts and IMs as a form of communication, which really brought it into today's world. The songs and poems were interesting, and added value to the story. And the mermaids! Well,  you'll just have to read it for yourself to find out about them. :)

I liked the main character, and loved following along as she tried to solve the mystery behind her father's surfing accident. I didn't care too much for her boyfriend, though. Sometimes he seemed a little too perky, and at other times, a little too pressing on the "let's be alone together" begging. I'm all for hot, tempting guys, but a few of his lines made him sound like a bit of a jerk to me.

Aside from that this was a fun adventure, and although the book can stand on it's own, I find myself hoping for a sequel (please, L.K. Madigan?!).

The book releases later this year, so check it out! I recommend it if you're looking for a fun read, like the sea, and believe in mermaids!

Content: A few suggestive phrases, and some kissing.

My Rating: 4 stars


I was able to review this book thanks to netGalley, and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...