3.26.2010

Review: Fablehaven: Keys to the Demon Prison (book 5)

While I highly doubt that the world needs yet another review of Keys to the Demon Prison, by Brandon Mull, I cannot hold my excitement in after just having finished reading it. And so I bring to you another review of the fifth, and final book of the Fablehaven series.

*Spoiler alert, if you haven't read the previous books!*

Keys to the Demon Prison picks up approximately three months after the events at Wyrmroost, the Dragon Sanctuary. Warren is still trapped in the storage room in the knapsack, Vanessa still dangles her secret as a bargaining chip, and the Society of the Evening Star still holds Kendra and Seth's parents captive. The Sphinx is still searching for the last artifacts needed to open Zzyxx, the demon prison.

I expected this book to be like the others, where the beginning takes you easily into the story, and a few chapters later something terrible is discovered and the fun begins. It is not. From the beginning, I got the sense that tensions here high. The action begins in the first few chapters, and does not let up until the end. Kendra and Seth are separated for the majority of the book, each with their own support band, following their own dangerous and trying quests.

Brandon Mull really showed his mastery of deception and plot in this book, as he revealed secrets I didn't know were secrets, and answered any questions I had from the previous books. I was surprised with how well things fit together with the entire series. Mull definitely planned this out well. Although I am sad to see the Fablehaven series come to an end (it's one of my favorites), I think this book did the series justice. He tied the book up quite nicely, and I felt like there was a definite end to it. Mull certainly knows how to let a series go out with a bang!


Buy Fablehaven: Keys to the Demon Prison (Amazon)

*This review is my own, honest, opinion. I do not receive compensation of any kind for anything in this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...