3.23.2010

Before & After: From Mirror to Chalk Board...and Help me Pick a Color!

I have had this old mirror sitting in my room since before I can remember. I don't really know when it got here, or why I left it sitting against the wall all these years. Seriously. It just sat against the wall; too low to be used as an actual mirror, but too big and heavy to hang on the wall.
 
 (The frame, minus the nasty, dirty mirror)

The paint on this frame was peeling and the two coats of different colored paint underneath have been starting to show. And Monkey, being the boy that he is, spat on the mirror all the time, because he liked to watch how his spit drooped down. So needless to say, it was pretty nasty (I must admit that after the 100th time of him doing this, I quit cleaning it so often).

So this month, I did something about it.

I took the mirror out and got rid of it (don't ask me how). The thing had to weigh at least 40 lbs. It was gigantic, thick, and oh so heavy! After that, I sanded the frame down, primed it, and painted it. I then painted the piece of wood that was behind the mirror and replaced it, turning it into a chalkboard.




I'm so pleased with how well it turned out! I've never done a painting project like this before, but now I'm addicted and want to keep going. My next project (if I decide I'm brave enough) is this:



It is the chair that goes with the mirror, that used to belong to an old dresser that is in similar condition. I just found this in the basement on Sunday. It has been reupholstered a few times before by other people, but it is coming apart. So my plan is to repaint and reupholster it. I can't decide on a color, though.

I want to use this as a photography chair this summer, to sit children on for modern/vintage-looking photographs. I can't decide whether to leave it how it is, or to paint it. And if so, what color? A deep blue, with a cream-colored cushion? Or an antique white with bright blue or red cushion? Agh, the choices!

Opinions are welcome. In fact, they are highly sought after!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the mirror/chalkboard. It turned out great!! You should go here: http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/ I think you would like their stuff. I am always so inspired to do these sorts of projects. And, that blue/turquoise color is one of the contributors favorite! I can't wait to see the end product with the chair. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, i'm no good with choosing colors, but I have to say I LOVE what you did with that chalkboard! It turned out beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Michelle! I LOVE All Things Thrifty, and am so inspired by all the projects! Oh, and the color is fast becoming a favorite of mine, too! :)

    Rachel, thanks for your comment! I'm glad you like the chalkboard! In the beginning, I wasn't sure how it would turn out...but it ended up looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pene!!!
    I found your blog through Latu's, so I thought that I would comment. I love the mirror, and for your chair, I would do a sage green with a yellow cushion. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...