2.12.2010

The Lightening Thief: The Movie

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightening Thief

Let me start this review off by saying that I have read this book. Read it. Loved it. Talk about it all the time. The things I liked most about this book, are:
1.) It took me into a world where no other book has taken me (the perspective of a modern Demi-God).
2.) The book was full of adventure, but clean, fun, and suitable for all ages.
3.) I learned things! The whole series has subtly taught me a lot about Greek mythology.

Needless to say, that yesterday when I realized the movie version was being released, I knew I had to go see it A.S.A.P.. So my friends and I sat in the theater at midnight, crossing our fingers for an Eclipse preview (sadly, there wasn't one), and hoping the movie would be good.

The moment it ended, I could think of only one thing: I have to go home and blog about this.

There is one main difference between the book and movie, and I think it makes a huge impact on how much a person (you!) will like the movie. To be frank, the book is perfect for younger readers (think 8+), and the movie is not.  With tongue-in-cheek comments and an older cast, the movie is definitely geared towards teenagers and young adults.

The Bad:
In order to make the movie more appealing to an older group, it seemed like a lot of things were either added in, or left out. Basically, the only things that resemble the book, are the character's names, their mission, and the fact that they are Demi-Gods. The characters visit the same spots as the book (Camp Half-blood, Auntie M's, etc.), but why they go there, how they get there, and what happens there, is changed and dramatized.

As far as content, there were jokes that may be inappropriate for younger ones (if they even get them), and some parts that will for sure scare young children (the monsters are pretty scary). Plus there was some swearing...but tell me a movie that doesn't have that, nowadays.

The Good:
I think the casting was great. I absolutely LOVED Medusa, who was played very well by Uma Thurman. She is one example of something they changed, that I liked better than the book. There were also other changes made that I liked just as much, or better than the book...which could have something to do with the fact that I am, coincidentally, one of the young adults I think the movie was supposed to be geared towards. :)

Oh, and the fighting scenes were pretty cool. I am so glad they chose to include a capture the flag scene!


All-in-all:
The movie was great, in my opinion. I kind of have to think of it as just a variation of what the book could have been, rather than a movie version of the book...it's easier that way. But I do recommend that those who liked the book go and see it. If nothing else, it is entertaining. The jokes are pretty funny!

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think of it?

2 comments:

  1. I totally loved it! I didn't really know what to expect, but I thought it was fun and it's always nice when the lead guy is way cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave you an award on my blog.=)

    http://mylifeinhigheels.blogspot.com/2010/02/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...