1.24.2010

Review of Beautiful Creatures, by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl



From the cover:
There were no surprises
in Gaitlin county.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have
been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end,
there was a grave.

Synopsis:
Beautiful Creatures is told from the viewpoint of Ethan Wate, your average teenage basketball player...who happens to have a superstitious step-in grandmother who reads palms, and talks to the spirits of the dead. Ethan is troubled by nightmares of a mysterious girl, and is haunted by a song, which foretells of things to come. In school, Ethan meets Lena Duchannes, a girl with a stormy past and an even stormier future. The two are on emerging paths, on their way to discovering dark family secrets that deal with both their pasts.

My Thoughts:
I did enjoy this book. It had a unique spin on paranormal aspects that I liked. Anything that stands out from the norm is good to me. But it was just that. Good. It never caught my attention the way I wanted it too, or the way I think it could have. There was a lot that I think could have been taken out of the story, making a shorter, faster-paced book, and allowing more tension to build.

The thing that bothered me the most is that the love between the two characters seemed to spring up out of nowhere. It is supposed to be a sort of "fated to be together" kind of love, but I just didn't feel that happening. I didn't think the characters were developed enough for the reader to see the relationship building between the two. This is especially since Ethan's character seemed more like a female to me, than a male.

There were a lot of things I think could have been done differently. But there were also things that I think were spot-on. The Sixteen Moons song (that's given in pieces throughout the book) was quite clever and well thought-out. Also, I enjoyed the infusion of history and culture of the Gaitlin county, and learned some cool facts! And like I said above, the paranormal aspects were unique and imaginative.

All-in-all, it was a pretty good read that I would still recommend to others, especially if you like reading YA.

Content: The book had minimal swearing (2-3 words), and a few Twilight-esque kissing scenes.

My rating: 3 stars


Visit the authors' website.
Buy Beautiful Creatures on Amazon

*Reviews are solely my own opinion, which may differ from other opinions of the book. Please take into account the diversity of personalities and preferences when it comes to reading. Please refer to my policy page or contact page if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...