8.04.2009

The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins


Synopsis:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing then all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before--and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becoms a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Excerpt: 
"When the gong sounds, get the hell out of there. You're neither of you up to the blood bath at the Cornucopia. Just clear out, put as much distance as you can between yourselves and the others, and find a source of water," he says. "Got it?"

"And after that?" I ask.

"Stay alive," says Haymitch.


My Thoughts:
 This book sucked me in from the first chapter. I felt immediatly drawn to Katniss and her need to keep her family alive and fed. Suzanne Collins tells the story well, giving up pieces of the past at the perfect times, while still keeping the reader at the edge of her seat.

We are taken through each step of the journey as Katniss struggles with her hate of the Capitol and wished to rebel, her friendship with Peeta (the chosen boy from her district), and her need to be the winner and get back home. Katniss is a strong girl and a great character.

Suzanne's writing makes a beleiveabe world, where children are forced to do the unthinkable, and still manages to keep the reader reading. This is probably the best book I have read all year. I reccommend it to all readers. What are you waiting for? Read it now!!

F.Y.I. - The sequel, Catching Fire, comes out on September 1. According to the synopsis and the few reviews I have read, the book will be amazing. I can't wait to read it, and you can bet I'll be one of the first in line to buy a copy!


5 comments:

  1. Someone else just recommended this book to me, and after reading your review, I'm definitely reading it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following your blog and I just had to comment when I saw this post! I loved this book. It took me a little longer than you to get into it but I loved it and can't wait til the 2nd comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting!

    Happy blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently read this book too and loved it! I am counting down the days until I can get my hands on a copy of Catching Fire! My review is here: http://nosebook.mapledesign.ca/?p=476#content
    I just commented on your old/other blog (on the post for City of Bones) and then realized that you had abandoned that blog so I came over here to check it out and noticed that you are a member of the Mormon Mommy blogs. I am also a member who likes to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend told me it was a good read, but I didn't know anything about it. Thanks for the info.

    (Found you on Modern Molly Mormon)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...