3.18.2009

Tá Sí ag Léamh; Passion #15: Languages

Dia dhaoibh! - Malo 'e lele! - Bonjour! - Hola! - Hello!
Let me start off by saying that English is the only language that I speak fluently. I am part Tongan, and I know a few (very few) words and phrases in Tongan. I took French in junior high and high school which I loved, but I eventually dropped the class after my second year to focus on the sports I was playing at the time. As far as Spanish, well, who doesn't know at least a sentence or two nowadays?


Now, I bet you are wondering what that other language is, up there in the greetings. It's Irish, or I guess some people call it Gaelic (will I get flamed if I just call it Irish? I like it better...). In honor of St. Parick's day, Rosetta Stone, the company with the TV commercials that boasts it's the "fastest way to learn a language," was offering a free 10-day trial of their Irish language software. The sign-up period is over, sorry! Me not being one to turn down anything free, signed up and started learning Irish.


First, let me say that it really put me in the St. Patrick's day mood. I even wore green yesterday, even though I never left the house. :)


Second, it brought back my passion for learning languages! I don't mean to brag or anything, (okay, a little shameless bragging, but nothing more) but I have been told by many people that I pick up accents really well, which helps me learn languages easier. In high school, I had this huge desire to learn many different languages, namely French, but never acted on it.


Now, I'm not going to go crazy and try to learn 10 different languages. But I am going to use this free trial until it's dry. I've already been sucked into the program, and could write a post on "How to Lose Three Hours of Your Day." Monkey doesn't mind, though. He's been learning with me. He likes to try and say the phrases, and always points to which square I should choose. Maybe by the time this is through, I'll have someone to speak Irish to. :)





3 comments:

  1. FUN! I love free things, and that's awesome that you are so good at picking up languages! I can do the accents, but not the languages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! My dh just bought the Rosetta Stone for learing Latin, earlier this year and he is learning it quickly as well. I would love to find some for free!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thanks for pointing this company out! I have been wanting to learn Spanish! I will have to check it out. Thanks for linking to Show off your blog Saturday! Hope to see you there tomorrow.

    I think it is awesome that your son is joining in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...