2.16.2009

Hair Mats For Oil Spills

Is your hair too short to donate to Locks for Love? Don't fret! Instead of leaving your trimmed hair behind at the salon to go to waste, think of donating those short (or long) pieces to an organization like The Matter of Trust; a non-profit company based in San Fransisco, that has done something wonderful with hair.

According to The Matter of Trust's website, there were over 2,600 oil spills around the world last year, alone. That's a lot of oil that has made it's way into our environment.

This is where your hair clippings come in. Matter of Trust takes the hair clippings, cleans them through boiling, and them makes them into mats that have proved to be more effective than fur in attracting oil. The hair attracts and holds the oil when used during a spill, and after the mat has been wrung out, it can be re-used 50 to 100 times! The organization has been using these mats to successfuly clean oil spills, including a much-talked-about oil spill in 2007.

But the fun doesn't stop there...after the mats have been used to the max, they are then covered with oyster mushrooms and straw, which will break down the hair and oil over about 12 weeks, and turn them into usable landscaping soil.


I was so impressed when I found out about these hair mats. This is such a great way to use your hair to help the environment! Here is the information from the website for donating your own hair:


Matter of Trust - Hair Mats Program
c/o San Francisco Carpet Recycling
1588 Carroll Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94124 USA

For one time hair donors (For businesses, please visit The Matter of Trust's website for more information):
- Please, wash hair first
- any length is fine
- every type of hair is fine (straight, curly, all colors, dyed, permed, straightened...) but only HEAD hair, please!
- use mailing address above

Individuals:
Please tell your hair stylist / barber about our program and website. We love personal hair donations, but for practical reasons, hair in bulk from salons saves processing time.

Teachers and classrooms: We love getting hair from schools! Please collect and mail all the hair in one bag, rather than lots of little envelopes, saves processing time. Also, you may want to check out our Teacher's Demo Page

Pet owners: Fur, horse hair and waste wool is fine. It does seem that human hair is more efficient in certain studies, but we are grateful for all the donations. Pet hair doesn't have to be shampooed - but we ask that it not be filthy, please.



The next time I get my hair trimmed, I plan to tell my salon about the hair mats, and suggest that they donate their hair clippings. And I'll save mine to donate, as well. :)


Subscribe to Life's Sweet Passions
Subscribe by Email

7 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! Great blog post! :) Glad I "dropped" by! --Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I have always wished I could donate my hair but I've never been able to stand growing it out long enough. This is great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new here! What a great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very informative. It's good to know that there's a company that actually does this. I'm about to donate my hair to locks of love. Now I know where to donate my hair clippings when I get a trim. Thanks Penelope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great Penelope! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy to have found this! We will be donating our hair to them beginning this month.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...