9.10.2008

Tutorial: Super Easy Homemade Laundry Powder

I'm going to be honest; I haven't been making my own laundry soap very long. BUT, it is addicting, cheap, easy, and I love making it! :)

Materials:

  • 1 Bar soap - Fels Naptha is the most recommended, but I could not find it at any store near me. Other recommended alternatives are Zote and Ivory, though any bar soap (even homemade) can be used. I just put the soaps I had on hand in this picture.
  • 1/2 C. Borax
  • 1/2 C. Washing Soda - Made by Arm and Hammer; this can be hard to find, as not many stores carry it.
  • Grater or Food Processor
  • Container large enough to store about 3 cups laundry powder. I used the one below:
I found everything except the Washing Soda at WalMart; for that, I had to call around untill I found a store that carries it.

Instructions:

Distract son. ;)


All of the following steps can also be done in a food processor.

Grate bar soap. Sounds hard, but the stuff is like butter; it was so quick!
**The Zote bar I purchased was almost four times the size of normal bar soaps (see picture above), so I only used half, and doubled the other two ingredients.**

Here's my finished grated soap (I love the color!):

Next, add the Borax and Washing Soda and mix well. I just put everything into the container I planned to use and shook it up. If you are using a food processor, you can blend it in there and then add it to your container.

It is now ready to use! For one load of laundry, you use 1 Tablespoon. If the clothes are especially dirty, use 2 Tablespoons.
*This soap doesn't create suds, so don't panick when you don't see 'em!*

The Cost:

Making my own laundry soap has not only been easy, but it has also been so cheap you wouldn't believe it!

Borax: $2.56
Washing Soda: $2.69
Zote: $0.97 (btw-the 3-pack Ivory bars were only 87 cents!)
Total + tax = $6.62

I got about 3 Cups of powder from the batch I made for this tutorial. That was using half the Zote bar. Once I use the entire Zote bar, I'll have made about 6 cups. And there's still tons of Borax and Washing soda left!

EDIT: I need sleep! I totally did the math wrong. I came back and checked it (luckily) and realized this. Here is the corrected math; it's more than 2 cents, but still a great price!

Alright, so $6.62 divided by 6 Cups = $1.10 per Cup
That divided by 16 Tablespoons per Cup = 7 cents per load of laundry!
Please tell me I did the math right this time!

Now, wasn't that easy?

Subscribe to Life's Sweet Passions
Subscribe by Email

6 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool, I didn't even know it was possible to make your own laundry detergent! I love step 1 too, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great share! I love the thought of making my own detergent. Being a household of 5 (adding the fact that I am a massage therapist who does her work laundry at home) we do SO MUCH laundry. I don't think the washer ever stops running...

    Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday and sharing some love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's incredible! I didn't know that was possible either. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so interested in this! I've had to punt my current detergent because of my child's sensitivities. Does this really get stains out? Of little boy's clothes? Because if so, I'm getting out the grater. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!! That's impressive!

    Great idea -- I'm always looking for ways to shave dollars off of our expenses. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...