9.20.2008

Passion #12: Jane Austen Movies



 There is something uplifting about watching movies based on Jane Austen's works. I always feel a sense of hope afterward. I have yet to see Mansfield Park, and Northanger Abbey, but I don't believe I'll be let down.

If you haven't noticed, my favorite movies (which can be seen in my profile) are made up almost entirely of "older" movies. Classics like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Shirley Temple, and Candleshoe, are what I grew up watching. I learned to love these movies, and believe it or not, gained quite a bit of knowledge from them.

One of these movies, Pride and Prejudice, has become a favorite in my family. It became a tradition at get-togethers and holidays to watch it at some point. It took me a while to have the patience to even try and understand what was going on in the movie, but when I finally did, I was hooked. I then went on to watch and adore more movies like it. I fully believe this helped me have a greater passion for history.

I am sorry to admit that, aside from Pride and Prejudice, I haven't actually read any other of Jane Austen's books. (I know, it doesn't make sense, huh?) But I am resolved to change that! For the rest of this year, I am reading the classics, which includes Jane Austen's works.

But, back to the point....

I watched Persuasion for the first time today. While I didn't find it as good a movie as P&P or S&S, I still loved it, and was still left with the hopeful, fufilling, happy feelings that only a "Jane Austen encounter" (as I call it) can do! :)









Subscribe to Life's Sweet Passions
Subscribe by Email

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that particular Pride and Prejudice. I went out and bought it, and watch it over and over!

    I'll try your suggestion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pene, you have to read Persuasion, it's so quick and smart, I think it's actually my favorite Austen to read. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Jane Austen Movie Fan too! I love snuggling up on the couch with a comfy blanket and a Jane Austen movie! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...