8.28.2008

Tristan and Iseult - The Greatest Love Story


The Romance of Tristan and Iseult by Joseph Bédier
Translated by Hilaire Belloc
Narrated by Joy Chan

Before Romeo and Juliet, and Lancelot and Guenevere, there were Tristan and Iseult.


Tristan and Iseult's story is one of honor, betrayal, jealousy, forbidden love, potions, Kings, Queens, etc... It has everything needed to create a lasting and memorable tale. The wording in this story is so well done! It just screams: "tragedy!"

There are a lot of questions regarding this tale. Did Tristan and Iseult really live? Is their story true? Who knows? I don't.

I do know, however, that this tale along with its many versions has captured my heart. This is possibly my favorite story. I downloaded the audio book (for free!) last year and have been completely taken away with it ever since! I have recently listened to it again, and let me assure you: this is a great love story.

The movie was pretty good...but never mind that! You need to hear the audio book; or at least read the book. I'm partial to the audio book because I love the narrator's accent, and feel that it added to the story, making it more real

Here's a peek at the beginning of the book:

Part the first: The Childhood of Tristan


My Lords, if you would hear a high tale of love and of death, here is that of Tristan and Queen Iseult. How to their full joy, but to their sorrow also, they loved each other. And how at last, they died of that love together upon one day; she by him and he by her.....


Is that beginning not intriguing?


 1 down for the classics challenge; 5 more to go!


Subscribe to Life's Sweet Passions
Subscribe by Email

2 comments:

  1. I am a SUCKER for a love story. no kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and, p.s. We LOVE the SAME movies. Seven Brides, who woulda known????

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...