8.13.2008

A Rainbow-Shaped Patch of Dry Grass

While at the park yesterday, I walked across a patch of dead grass, which I paid no mind to. In fact, I really didn't even see it. My 5-year-old cousin runs up to it and says, "What shape is this? Look! It's shaped like a rainbow!" And it really was. I know it was just a patch of dead grass, but I couldn’t help but be amazed at how such a thing could be turned into something beautiful.

I am constantly reminded of how differently I see the world now that I am "grown up." I walk outside, perfectly oblivious to the world around me, when my lil' monkey will yell something like, "Plane!" and then point at the sky with wide eyes. This is the point where I stop, look up, and think, "How did I not hear that plane earlier?"

This isn't the only time things like this happen. I try to be the "good mom," who points out all the glorious wonders of our world to her son, and teaches him to be gratefully amazed at everything; but the fact is that it just doesn't happen like that. While on walks, I'll dutifully point out the flowers and the big trucks that drive past (which he loves). But this is only when I remember. It is usually my son who exclaims that he sees something way cool, and it is usually him who wants to stay and look, while I would rather continue walking because, to me, there will always be another flower.

There have been a series of events that have taken place recently which have made me change my way of thinking; one, being that I got to have some alone time with my son at my grandparent's house in Idaho. We lay outside on a blanket and looked up at the clouds. I haven't done this since I was twelve; maybe even younger. I watched the them in the sky and felt as if it were my first time. We had peace and quiet all around us. The only noises were the wind blowing the trees and the occasional flying insect. It was beautiful.

Upon our return home, I started thinking about all that I take for granted. A few nights later, I took my son out on our lawn, and showed him the moon and the stars. I actually looked at my tiny little vegetable garden and finally saw how productive and helpful it is. I sat for a while and studied the birds that flock to our lawn to eat the bread left out for them each morning. And for once, I was the one who scattered the bread across the lawn for them.

There are so many things I take for granted in my life. When was the last time I looked up at the clouds for anything other than to see if it would rain? When did I last look up at the night sky and find the Big Dipper, the Northern Star, or Orion’s Belt? I realize that there is no perfect mom. Yes, I have a hectic life full things to get done. But I’m glad I have these little reminders that make me stop and take a look at what’s going on around me. And maybe that’s another reason to add to my list of things I’m grateful to my son for: Helping me learn the things I forgot.



This post was awarded with the Perfect Post award in 2008! Get more info here. Thanks Danette!

3 comments:

  1. It's very easy to be busy in our busy grown-up lives. That's why God gives us children...and someday, Grandchildren. The little ones remind us how we should be.

    (visiting from mbc)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful post! I feel the same way out my sons, they are always pointing out things I missed, and I love the way they describe things in ways I never would have.

    found your blog through mbc. I saw your LDS blogs ring, we are LDS too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet, poignant post, and you definitely deserve this award!

    I know I forget to make these kinds of comments to my 3-year-old now that she is really old enough to comment back. You reminded me how important it is to stop and take time to enjoy the wonder from a child's point of view.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...