8.30.2008

And Just Like That, It all Comes Crashing Down

A lot has happened the past couple of days pertaining to Twilight; the most disturbing event being that copies of unfinished drafts of Stephenie Meyer's next book, Midnight Sun, were widely (need I say, illegally) distributed against her wishes and knowledge.

Midnight Sun is meant to be a companion book to the Twilight saga. It is Twilight, written from Edward's point of view. It has been highly anticipated ever since she first mentioned it a couple years ago, and posted the first chapter on her website. I have been dying for this book to come out. If you thought Twilight was good, Midnight Sun is double good, and being able to read a chapter inside Edward's head was an intoxicating treat.

Unfortunately, the unfinished story was leaked and now there are consequences. I don't blame Stephenie for the way she feels. Who would want to finish and edit a story that anyone who has access to the internet could have read? She says on her website that Midnight Sun is "on hold indefinitely." I, too, would definitely want a vacation from such a mess.

Regarding the actual copy that was leaked, here is what she says on her website:

"I'd rather my fans not read this version of Midnight Sun. It was only an incomplete draft; the writing is messy and flawed and full of mistakes. But how do I comment on this violation without driving more people to look for the illegal posting? It has taken me a while to decide how and if I could respond. But to end the confusion, I've decided to make the draft available here (at the end of [her] post). This way, my readers don't have to feel they have to make a sacrifice to stay honest"


I don't know how to respond to this. I love these books, and hold a high respect for Stephenie Meyer. I'm still not sure if I can read the draft she posted; out of pure principle, it seems wrong to me.

Stephenie Meyer (because I know you're a devoted fan to my blog), I hope you easily get through this mess, and find writing inspiring again!

Related Links: Stephenie Meyer's response post



Subscribe to Life's Sweet Passions
Subscribe by Email

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...